Comparing gym contracts: How much does it cost to get fit?
Following President Cyril Ramaphosa moving the country to lockdown level one on 30 September, gyms across the country have eased their restrictions.
GYM RESTRICTIONS UNDER LEVEL ONE
The country has moved down to lockdown level one, which is the most relaxed restriction the country has seen in the last 18 months. This means the restrictions at gyms have also been eased with gym goers able to spend longer hours working out.
So, how do you find the best suited gym membership to you? Here’s a breakdown of membership costs and perks from some of the most popular gyms in South Africa.
COST OF GYM MEMBERSHIPS IN SOUTH AFRICA
Virgin Active is one of the most popular gyms in South Africa with various branches in each province. Virgin Active has four categories to choose from: Kids, club, premiere and collection. All options are a 12-month commitment.
What you need to know about the kids contract:
- Club-V package is from R79: Offers access to Club-V facilities and scientifically developed movement programmes for kids from six weeks to seven years.
- Club-V Max package is from R175: Offers access to Club-V Max facilities and scientifically developed movement programmes for kids from six weeks to 13 years.
The club option has two packages:
- Club Off-peak: Between R310 to R830. Offers access to single club and 8am to 4pm and anytime on weekends and public holidays.
- Club Full access: Between R370 to R1100. Offers full access to a single club of your choosing.
The premiere option has three packages:
- Premiere: R1200 – Allows you to work out where you are with full access to all SA clubs.
- Premiere Select: R870 – Allows you to exercise when and where it suits you with full access to a group of select clubs across SA.
- Youth: R720 – This package is for under-18s to work out wherever they are with full access to clubs.
Collection is just one option priced between R1830 to R2600 for access to all clubs, including luxury and national destinations.
ALSO READ: Return to fitness: Here’s how SA gyms are flexing their muscles again
Viva Gym has seven branches across the Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Gauteng. It offers both month-to-month contracts, as well as 12-month contracts. However the packages differ at the various branches.
The packages at these branches — Fourways, Hillfox and Rosebank — are:
- Month-to-month memberships cost R399 + R99 as an access tag fee.
- 12 month membership costs R329 + R99 as an access tag fee.
At Montana, Oakdene, Sunningdale and Walmer:
- Month-to-month memberships cost R379 + R99 as an access tag fee.
- 12 month membership costs R319 + R99 as an access tag fee.
Zone Fitness has 24 branches in the provinces of the Western Cape and Gauteng. Here is a breakdown of their gym membership packages.
- R250: 24-month contract with single-club access.
- R299: 24-month contract with super club access.
- R399: Month-to-month contract with single-club access.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST-SUITED MEMBERSHIP
While Planet Fitness memberships options are not available on their website, the gym offers a one week free trial for you to try out. Viva Gym on the other hand offers one free day. You could go in and see whether the gym works for you.
Alternatively, you could take a month-to-month gym contract to evaluate how the membership works for you before committing to a 12-month contract.
ALSO READ: Hard to swallow: Hot dogs may be taking big bites out of your life
Kim Chipendu is a columnist for Healthy Organic Lifestyle.