His and Hers Pasta
Looking for fun way to spend with your partner, why not create a delicious simple meal together in the kitchen, in this way your spending quality time creating something scrumptious.
So my wife and I decided to create a delicious twist on the traditional Mac and Cheese and made it more comforting on this icy evening.
- 2 1/2 cups of Penne pasta;
- 5 Roma tomatoes blended (alternatively you could yous tin Tomatoes);
- 1 red onion chopped;
- 1 clove garlic;
- 1 potato chopped in small cubes;
- 1 tbsp butter;
- some fresh oregano (dried will do as well);
- 2 tbsp of all purpose flour;
- 1 tsp chilli powder;
- 1 cup of cheese;
- Pinch of turmeric; and
- 1 cup of milk; and salt and pepper to taste.
The above ingredients can we swapped out for a vegan alternatives such as plant based milk; vegan cheese and butter.
- Blend tomatoes with one clove of garlic;
- Place blended tomatoes and garlic in a pot;
- Add turmeric, chilli powder; salt and pepper;
- Cook on stove for 20 min until it becomes a sauce consistency;
- In a frying pan add some oil and heat;
- Add your cubed potatoes and chopped onion and cook on medium heat until onions soften and potatoes are cooked;
- In a sauce pan melt butter on medium heat;
- Once melted add flour gradually and mix continuously (DO NOT BURN!!);
- Gradually add milk once flour mixture is combined;
- Keep stirring and bring to a boil;
- Stir mixture until thick;
- Boil pasta;
- Once pasta boiled place in an oven proof dish;
- Add the tomato sauce, white sauce and fresh herbs of your choice; and
- Top with cheese and place in an 180ºC oven for 15 min or until cheese is melted.
Serve hot and pair it with a lovely glass of wine or gin. The Perfect Date!!!!