Princess Charlene to rest ’in secret location’ for several weeks
By Tassilo Hummel
PARIS – Monaco’s Princess Charlene will rest for several weeks and avoid public duties, including the principality’s national day celebrations, while she recovers from ill health, the Monaco royal palace said this week.
The palace said Charlene, a former Olympian, would convalesce in a secret location and that she would only resume her public duties once her health allowed it.
“A period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the very best recovery for Princess Charlene’s health,” the palace said.
“Having battled with poor health over the past few months,the Princess is currently convalescing and will continue to do so for the coming weeks,” it added.
Charlene, who married Monaco’s ruler Prince Albert in 2011in a lavish ceremony, returned to Monaco earlier this month after spending much of the year in her homeland South Africa.
Monaco’s national holiday is on November 19 though events to mark the celebration commence three days earlier.
The princess was admitted to hospital in South Africa in September for treatment for an ear, nose and throat infection which led her to collapse.
Photographs released by the palace upon her return showed Charlene wearing a protective face mask, with one arm around her husband and the other wrapped around her children in front of the palace’s white stairways.
Charlene has been battling poor health for several months and the palace said it would update on her convalescence ahead of the Christmas holidays.
“As soon as her health permits, the Princess looks forward to once again carrying out her Princely duties and spending time with the Monegasques,” the statement continued.
Charlene swam for South Africa at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.
Based in Johannesburg, Brian Derenberger is a Senior Editor at Healthy Organic Lifestyle.