Modern pizza evolved from similar flatbread dishes in Naples, The Italian simply added sauce to the flatbread and it evolved into the pizza Italy is famously know for today.
If the lockdown cravings are kicking in here is a delicious pizza recipe, you can make at home.
- 1 Packet Eureka Mills Pizza Base mix;
- 1 chopped onion;
- 1 punnet mushrooms;
- I chopped pepper ( can use different colors);
- a few black olives;
- Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese;
- 2 cans of whole peel tomatoes;
- 2 tsp of ginger and garlic paste;
- 2-3 chicken breasts ( vegetarians can use halloumi cheese;
- 1 tsp tikka spice;
- 3 tblp of thick yogurt; and
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the dry ingredients – Flour and Yeast (included in mix);
- For best results add half water, mix, add the rest of the water and mix thoroughly;
- Add oil and then mix;
- Place dough in a mixing bowl;
- Cover with damp cloth and allow dough to rise for 30 min;
- Once done, separate dough into half, and roll out into desired thickness;
- Prick the dough with a fork several times; and
- Bake in a 250ºC for 5 mins;
- Cut chicken/halloumi into small cubes;
- Place in a mixing bowl;
- Add tikka masala spice, salt and pepper, and yogurt;
- Mix and allow to marinate for about an hour, or overnight;
- Heat a pan with some oil;
- Add your ginger and garlic paste and cook for about a minute;
- Add your chopped onion and peppers, cooking until translucent;
- Add your mushroom;
- Add your chicken/halloumi marinate mix; and
- Cook until done (halloumi only need about 5 min to cook, otherwise it will melt).
- In a pot add the tomatoes;
- Let it cook and then mush the whole tomatoes;
- Add salt and pepper to taste, you can add other spices if you like; and
- Allow to cook until thick and looks like a sauce consistency (dont allow it to dry out).
- Once the dough has baked for 5 min;
- remove from oven;
- Add your toppings starting with the tomato sauce, then Chicken/halloumi tikka ;
- Add your cheese;
- Add your olives;
- Bake for a further 10-15 min depends on thickness of dough, or until cheese is bubbly; and
- Cut and serve piping hot.
Leftover pizza tastes even better the next day….
Based in Johannesburg, Brian Derenberger is a Senior Editor at Healthy Organic Lifestyle.