Yummy Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
There are literally thousands of carrot cake recipes on the internet – so why a carrot cake recipe?
Well after trying many different recipes over the years, with a bit of ‘mix and matching’ we have decided this one suits our palates one hundred percent. If you like cream cheese icing, use a ring cake tin as I have done so that you can smother the whole cake with a thick fluffy layer (almost) the whole way around the cake! Fight off your family who do not want the cake to cool properly before icing, and then present the cake at tea/coffee time to a fanfare of “YUMMIES”.
- 250g cake flour 50g shelled pecan nuts broken up
- 2t baking powder 220g canned pineapple rings chopped
- 1t salt 50g seedless raisins/sultanas
- 1t bicarb 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2t mixed spice, ground 150g organic carrots, grated
- 1t cinnamon, ground 150ml canola oil
- 150g light brown sugar 3 large free range eggs
FOR THE ICING
- 125g butter, softened 1t vanilla extract
- 250g Lancewood cream cheese slab 2t lemon zest plus extra for decoration
- 450g icing sugar 50g pecan nuts whole or crushed to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160C.
Sift ALL dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
Add sugar, nuts, pineapple, raisins, mashed banana and grated carrot.
Beat eggs and oil together, add to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Pour mixture into a greased (buttered) cake tin 22cm or ring and place in the oven to bake for 60 to 75 minutes. Do not over bake – check after 1 hour using a skewer. When it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the ICING, beat butter, cheese and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
Add lemon zest, then slowly add sugar while beating – do not overwork.
When cake is completely cool, remove from tin and spread icing ALL OVER.
Decorate with pecans and lemon zest.
Kim Chipendu is a columnist for Healthy Organic Lifestyle.